The oil life light may occasionally require manual resetting. Historically, some models (like older BMWs) required access to a specialized diagnostic tool in order to reset the oil change light, but fortunately, the majority of manufacturers have switched to user-friendly procedures for the reset.
Press and hold the reset button to reset the oil change indicator. · While holding the reset button, turn the ignition back to the ON position.
Has the “Maintenance” or “Oil Change” indicator light appeared on your vehicle? Learn what it means and how to make it go away.
How to Reset the Oil Change Light in a Car?
Find the Reset Button and Turn on Vehicle System
- Search your vehicle’s gauge and dashboard area for a button, switch or stick the says “Reset.”
- Don’t start the engine; instead, turn the ignition to the ON position to turn on your gauges and electronics.
Set Odometer to Display Mileage
- Till the total distance traveled is displayed, switch between the various odometer modes.
- Turn the ignition OFF.
Hold the Reset Button and Turn the Key
- The reset button should be pressed and held.
- While keeping the reset button depressed, turn the ignition back to the ON position.
- Closely observe the maintenance or oil change light. It ought to begin blinking.
- After a brief period of the light blinking ON and OFF, let go of the reset button, and turn the ignition OFF.
Start the Vehicle
- Make sure the oil change or maintenance light is now off before starting the engine.
- Reset the device again if it’s still on.
- If the dashboard light remains ON after two tries, refer to your owner’s manual or the car manufacturer’s site for more information about the process for your vehicle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is My Change Oil Light on When I Just Changed My Oil?
You should check the sensor first to rule out a damaged sensor as the cause if your oil light remains on even after changing the oil in your engine. The oil pump can get clogged with dirt and other debris, which can lead to the sensor reporting false oil problems.
Do You Need to Reset Oil Change Light?
It’s crucial to reset the oil change indicator light on your dashboard after every oil change. If you don’t reset the indicator, you may find that your car will indicate that you need another oil change far sooner than it should.
Can You Drive With Oil Change Light On?
If your oil light comes on while you’re driving, you need to stop right away and shut the engine off. Your engine might lock up and become unresponsive if you’re out of oil. You could get into trouble if the car suddenly stops while you’re driving.